Person: I’m a woman and I don’t need feminism
What she’s actually saying:
- My life is perfectly okay and I don’t really care what other women go through
- I think feminists are just whiny and can’t take jokes that perpetuate harmful stereotypes
- I believe that people are just obsessed with political correctness
- I am blind to the fact that there are still problems faced by women
- I have forgotten that feminism gave women rights such as the right to vote
- I have no idea that feminism is an egalitarian movement that fights for everyone’s rights regardless of sex, gender, sexuality, race, religion, nationality, and ethnicity but mostly focuses on women’s rights.
- I am more concerned about semantics rather than human rights
- I can’t distinguish between real feminists and shitty people who call themselves feminists
- I still believe in the false notion that feminism is about hating men
- I actually don’t understand what feminism is
THIS IS WHY I HAVE TRUST ISSUES
This is terrifying
This is awesome
Some highlights from the past couple days.
Ice cream at Alotto Gelato, then some midnight sugary goodness from Voodoo doughnuts (pictured: the infamous voodoo doughnut, a Memphis mafia, a gay bar, a Mexican hot chocolate doughnut, blueberry cake and a maple & bacon).
Today, we drove up to Seaside (the drive there and back was so gorgeous we took turns driving so the other person could fully appreciate the spectacular views we were passing) for some touristy shopping, where we bought shameless amounts of salt water taffy and had amazing food at the Seaside Pub & Brewery, and to visit dear old mother pacific.
In Septemeber 2014, Missouri lawmakers decided women must wait 72 hours to “reflect on their decision” before they can get an abortion. ‘Cause, ya know, an abortion is one of those spur-of-the-moment decisions like ordering pay-per-view or having another glass of wine. And what about cases of rape, incest, or medical complications? Well, they have to wait 72 hours too.
On its own, this is pretty upsetting. But when you consider how easy it is to get one of those shiny metal things used to take people’s lives? That’s when the blinding rage sets in.